Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Revisiting my goals

Revisiting the goals I set in Week 2. Did I reach them?

Goals
To learn about emerging library technologies
Well I definitely know more than I did before, in some cases more than I needed or wanted to know.


To evaluate these technologies and assess their potential for adoption
I can definitely see a use for some of the technologies, others I'm less sure about, some I just think are irrelevant - I think the Library as a whole needs to seriously evaluate these technologies and the role, if any, they should fulfill in the provision of our services.

To adopt some of these new technologies to resolve current workplace need
Have already begun using RSS feeds and del.icio.us to help management information, will possibly adopt other technologies as the need arises.

To help mentor others
I found that many of my colleagues did not need the assistance of a mentor.

As I thought at the beginning of this programme regularly finding time to complete the tasks was the greatest difficulty of all.

Now at the end of the programme, my overriding thought is that all of these technologies need to be rigorously evaluated and pedagogically validated before they join our current methods of service delivery.

In my eyes it is preferable that we use these technologies to find creative solutions for existing service delivery needs rather than the "lackey band" situation that causes us to deliver the same service using so many different technologies that staff and other resources are stretched to breaking point and we provide no service well. Just because a technology exists and other libraries have chosen to investigate its use, does not necessarily mean that it is valid or that we have to use it too.

No comments: