Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Retroland

While in Learning 2.1 I had a quick look at Retroland and now I'm definitely feeling my age.

However, it did give me some ammunition to use in a disagreement about this horror product of the '60's and '70's - Fresca:



Big Brother remembered it as lemon flavoured but I was sure that it was the most awful version of synthetic artificially sweetened grapefruit drink that I have ever ingested. It used to be sold as a diet drink along with the equally awful tasting Tab, so I was amused to read this description in Retroland:

"In Spanish, the word "fresca" means fresh, and that's something the Coca-Cola company sought to bring to diet-conscious soft drink consumers in the early 60s. The grapefruit-flavored beverage catered to more 'discriminating' palates, and has grown a cult following over the years. While its popularity has grown slightly since its introduction, it remains a cult beverage with followers that grew up with the drink. It joins the ranks of Tab, another specialty diet soda that didn't get mass market appeal."

It was apparently the beverage of choice of US President Lyndon B Johnson - go figure.

No comments: