Sunday, November 11, 2007

19 down, 4 to go

I'm now more than half way through the 23 Things programme and my feelings are somewhat ambivalent. There are a number of new technologies that I find really useful such as Google Reader and del.icio.us and I can see a role for these, and the use of blogs and wikis, in improving the way we manage information in our daily working lives. However, I'm less convinced about how many of the new technologies would improve the way we interact with our patrons. Some Things such as Twitter and Second Life I just find downright irritating! I still find the most effective method of communicating with patrons to be the face to face interview and my second choice would be by telephone - so many of the nuances of language are lost in text based communication. I certainly would not want to limit the communication of library information to 140 characters per conversation.

No comments: