Sunday, November 18, 2007

Second Life = Sierra circa 1980



This is another new technology that I just don't get.

In the beginning I thought okay a way of combining gaming technology with educational purpose this could interest me. Then I made an avatar and checked out Lindenworld - the cynic in me very quickly realised that the main purpose of Second Life is to make money (lots of money) for Linden laboratories.

What I discovered is that for me it offered little in the way of inducement to learn. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to achieve nothing that could not already be achieved using existing library technology such as web pages, phone or IM, videoconferencing or wikis.

This combined with graphics that were so clunky they reminded me very strongly of the old Sierra PC games of the early 1980's such as King's Quest and Mystery House - it is so slow. Unlike Tibia or WoW you don't even get to kill anything but there is every chance that my avatar will commit suicide due to frustration.

The final insult to injury was having my screen filled with obscene messages and my avatar "frozen" by some other user.

No comments: